Sunday, September 24, 2017

All Things New

When I started this blog, it was really just a place for me to share Caedmon's birth story with friends without posting the entire thing on Facebook.  Or creating a Facebook "note" - if those things even exist anymore.  (I honestly have no idea.)  I didn't want to commit to "blogging" at the time, and I'm quite glad that I didn't.  Because it's been a good solid two years since I blogged!  

I did have a blog I updated consistently while I lived overseas for a time, but I felt like I had very specific and interesting things to say.  For almost 10 years following, I didn't really feel like I had anything to say that was worthy of being blogged.  Not that those years weren't noteworthy, formative, or good - they definitely were!  During those years, I moved to Louisville, made some incredible friends, met & married my husband, and even had two kids!  I truly learned & grew so much during that time.  But... I just didn't feel that I had very much to "say."  But now, I do feel like I have some things to say.  And this makes me *really* happy.  Not that I am special, or have any exclusive revelation from the good Lord that I must grace you all by imparting (ha).  And not that I think anyone even really *needs* the things that I have to say.  I don't even really have any expectation that people would (or should) read my words.  There are SO MANY blogs out there with way more inspirational thoughts, creative pictures & layouts, recipes and tips for how to do life... I certainly feel that I have very little to add to the conversation (or noise).  I am merely thankful that I finally feel some stirrings to share some of the things that are or have been on my heart.  And I am thankful to have this blog as an outlet for that.  I have also been told by several people lately that I should be writing, which does happen to be something that I enjoy doing, so this also allows me to pursue that hobby more.  So if ANY of the things I share should resonate with, bless, encourage, or spurr on anyone who happens to take the time to read what I write, then hallelujah.  I count this blog worth my time simply because I feel that I have things to say, and I am saying them.  If they should benefit anyone else, then all the better.  

That said, I would love to begin sharing some of the things God has been doing in my life, heart, and family lately.  I won't share them all in this one post, and they probably won't necessarily be in chronological order.  I would also like to clarify upfront that I still am not committing to blogging very regularly or consistently at this point.  I do, however, hope to blog more than once every two years.  😉 

I feel like this past year has brought on significant growth in my life both in general as a person, and spiritually as a child of God.  The addition of a second tiny human into our lives last September (our precious Cohen-Bug) threw me into a fire I certainly was not prepared for (but really. who IS actually prepared for a fire?).  Along with the typical challenges that come with learning to parent two little ones instead of just one, there were quite a few challenges we experienced with Cohen as well.  Nothing major - thankfully.  (I do fully realize how small my troubles seem when I see friends with babies in the NICU for months & other illnesses or disabilities that are upon them.  But still, they were new & difficult challenges to me all the same.)  It was a very difficult and sometimes dark season for me, and I know it was tough for little Cohen as well.  Poor guy didn't really start smiling regularly until he was about 7 months old!  (Now he smiles so much!)  And of course the difficulties affected Nick and Caedmon, too.  I began seeking out the counsel & wisdom of friends, as I suspected there may be some Postpartum Depression involved in this.  I am sooo so very thankful for the people in my life who stood by me and encouraged me through this time.  I could not have made it through that time without this community of people.  

Our sweet Cohen-Bug

Right as I was beginning to suspect some Postpartum Depression, my dear friend Lori passed away.  This was incredibly sad for me, as Lori was the first close friend I have had to pass away.  I had the privilege and honor of getting away for about 72 hours and was able to make the drive to Mississippi & see her before she died.  This was so dear to me and I will never forget it.  On this trip, I also got to see my precious professor from college, Dr. Paul Cotten, who also passed away this year, too.  I knew in my heart when I saw him that it would be my last time this side of heaven.  





Shortly after Lori passed away, a friend invited me to attend a women's Bible study at another church.  I was skeptical of it because I had actually never been a part of a "women's Bible study" before & I had some preconceived notions of what I thought it might be like.  But I knew I needed community, and I knew I needed to be in the Word, so I pushed myself & went.  Some of my preconceived notions were accurate, and some of them were not.  Still though, I continued to press on, trusting that God would use it regardless.  And of course, He did.  The name of the study was "All Things New," and we studied the book of 2 Corinthians.  It wasn't the most earth-shattering study I've ever attended, but God definitely used His Word and His people to encourage me to keep plodding along.

Then came summer, and all of the wonderful things that come with it.  Caedmon turned 2, and I *love* planning (& celebrating!) a good birthday party.  We went to baseball games, concerts, visited family in Alabama, watched fireworks, blew bubbles, swam, caught fireflies, & spent lots of time together as a family, relishing each new experience for the boys.  It was good for my soul.  


Our family at Caedmon's Daniel Tiger themed 2nd birthday party

Over the course of the year, I had also really begun putting down more roots at the church Nick and I attend here in Louisville, New Life Church.  For those of you who know more of my story, you'll know what a big deal this is, because it has not always been easy for me to accept this church as "my own."  More on that in another post, but suffice it to say that God did a huge work in my heart in allowing me to become more connected at church and feel as though I belong.  He even led me to put this testimony into words, & provided an opportunity for me to share it with our entire church!  (I'll be sharing that testimony in another post, too.)

It is really just an amazing feeling to know that God is at work in my life and heart, and I am so so thankful for this.  We live our lives in season, yes.  Sometimes those seasons are marked with immense growth, and sometimes they are not.  They may be marked with great joy or great sadness.  Or, they may not be marked with anything (seemingly) significant at all.  But trust me.  Whatever season you are in, it IS significant, and God IS at work whether or not you can see it or feel it.  Our God WILL NOT leave us stagnant, and I am so thankful!  He promises us in His Word that “if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation.  The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.” (2 Corinthians 5:17)  Praise. God.  

So whatever season of life you are in right now, dear friend, take heart.  For our God truly IS making all things new.  



No comments:

Post a Comment